TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 20:03:49 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Early Results

Hi Richard,

At 11:42 PM 10/22/2000 +0100, you wrote:

>Terry, Paul, all
>
>What do we expect to see as the drive power to the resonator is increased?
>The approximately sigmoid graph might steepen at the top as breakout occurs
>and the forward current increases, dropping more volts across turns perhaps.
>
>There is a fair way to go before the corona inception voltage is reached,
>but that is the point at which the system becomes very non-linear. How much
>corona current do you think will be drawn out of the coil into the sampling
>device? If the difference V across your sampling probe doesn't exceeed the
>tiny capacitance, then maybe samples at CIV or above could be taken.

If my CW coil is putting out say 50kV and I divide it's length up into 25
sections.  Then each would see an average of 2kV.  The peak in some areas
may be 5kV/section!  An obvious problem is getting a capacitor that could
take that.  There are some RF types that could without leakage but the
values tend to be small like 100pF.  That would make the ionization a
serious factor.

If my big coil hits 300kV peaks, that gives a multiplier of 300000/70= 4286
for what I measure now.  So if I get 3 volts now, I would get around 13kV
in operation!!  Unfortunately, that is probably far beyond what such a
probe could handle.  An inline current sensor would have a far better
chance of surviving that.  So maybe that is a way to see the inner working
of the secondary of an operating coil.

>If the local disturbance due to the probe is kept small (low Er dielectrics,
>minimal metal and no sharp edges etc.) then it may be a practical
>proposition to probe at near real-life powers.

>From my experience and in light of the above, I would think that directly
probing an operating coil is not practical with such a voltage probe.
However, the current profile seems very interesting from Paul's simulation!
 Current is far easier to play with in high voltage stress fields.  That
would take a special coil and all but I think there are no big problems...

>I realise that this is jumping the gun but I'm just thinking out loud
>(dangerous, I know!)

No Problem!  It is cool we have some new things to think about now!!

BTW - I will not get to my loaded secondary measurement tonight.  I have
gotten hung up playing with the test setup stuff....