TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:02:30 -0600
Subject: [TSSP] Running the program and losses...

Hi Paul,

        I am getting a 733MHz PIII computer for web server use on Friday.
and I
have this Redhat Linux 6.0 software box...  If I make the new machine dual boot
(Win2K / Linux), will I be on may way to being able to run your program??
Forgive if this question is stupid, but I know very little about UNIX...  I
know it has some version of Xwindows which I think your program needs.  Let me
know if I am generally on the right track and if I need some (hopefully free) C
compiler.  I would like to "play" with your program if I can collect all the
stuff to run it...

The Sonotube burns quite nicely so the fire retardant idea is out.  The present
idea is that water absorbed into the little fibers in the cardboard is causing
the high loss.  Does this sound reasonable?  I will microwave a chunk tomorrow
in the micro at work in case it nukes.  :-))  I copied a post to the Tesla list
below...

===================
At 10:52 PM 10/24/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Terry
>
>Many time in these kind of product they use chemical for fire retardant like
>boric acid some of these stuff could have high dielectric value or be lousy in
>RF.
>
>Luc Benard

Hi Luc,

        I did notice that there was a lot of white powdery stuff in the
Sonotube.  They actually make the stuff in 1/4 inch increments so the tube can
be shipped one inside the other to take up as little space as possible.  At the
store they have a section just full of the tubes that would make a pretty big
fire if it lit up.  The wax would really contribute to a fire.

Of course, there is a test for fire retardant... :-))

Testing....

It burns real good!!  Smells like a paraffin candle burning.  No fancy chemical
smell at all.  Just burning paraffin impregnated cardboard...  "No smoking"
around the Sonotube rack!