TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:36:42 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

Malcolm Wwrote:

> ...If you buy the notion suggested by a crude analysis of that
> behaviour that gap loss is predominantly V.I rather than I^2.R
> and that Vconducting is approaching constancy, you can see why.

Yes, I see, it's the small constant Vgap. I suppose by definition
the gap loss must be V.I, so long as V changes sign promptly when
I does, ie we can ignore the self inductance and capacitance of
the gap. Also by definition I^2.R applies, so it's not a case of
one rather than the other - its just that we have to accept that
R is a function R(I).

A couple more questions,

Recently Barry posted:

> ...J.C.Martin in the book "J.C.Martin on Pulsed power"
> ... he gives the formula for spark gap impedance as

> ((1.7 * L)/ r) + Z
> where L is the inductance of the spark channel,
> r is the length of the resistive phase, and
> Z is the impedance on Ohms of the circuit driving the spark gap.

> ... he gives his famous formula for the resistive phase of spark
> formation as
> (88/(Z**(1/3) * F**(4/3)))  * (rho/rho-zero)**(1/2)
> where the time is in nanoseconds,
> Z is the impedance driving the plasma channel in Ohms,
> F is the field along the chammel in units of 10 KV per centimeter,
> rho is the density of gas used, and
> rho_zero is the density of air at STP.
> Rho will change with bang rate.

Let me guess that the resistive phase is a short period of constant
resistance during which the arc gets established. It looks to be on
the order of nanoseconds and is presumably relevant to fast
pulse discharges in accelerator and fusion supplies. I take it we
can ignore this resistive phase, since tesla gaps conduct for many
tens of microseconds?

I guess it ought to be relatively straightforward, given a
digital scope, to capture and store the V/I curves for a
range of gap lengths and widths. I take it they would come out
looking a bit like two diodes back to back in parallel? Are
the V/I curves a function of frequency too, or would one set of
curves do for all?

If such curves exist, are they 'square' enough so that a gap
can be reliably characterised by a 'forward voltage drop' which
is just a function of the gap dimensions and independent of
current?

It seems to me that such a set of curves would provide the
essential raw material from which an effective loss resistance
(ie an integrated loss per cycle divided by the mean square
current) could be established for a given gap.

> My expts also suggest (and appear to be well supported by the
> experiences of others) that as one moves to the high L/C - high V
> regime, quenching type #2 (avoiding power ARCS) becomes more and
> more of a bugbear. John Freau is one excellent experimenter whose
> experiments with high L/C primaries have seen his efficiencies climb
> markedly.

Thanks, was wondering about that. Is there a primary L/C
record holder I wonder? I've been thinking about rigging up
a high energy single shot primary, using a voltage multiplier
to accumulate about 60kV across the tank.