TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 19:19:18 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] pn2511 is baloney

1. Good point. I've converted tesla to Tesla throughout all docs.

2. Good point. As you say, its not sufficient just to ignore self
inductance and resistance. Circular current paths must be prevented
too. However page 2 is probably not the right point to mention it,
since the aim here is to introduce the capacitances, so instead I've
raised this point in section 3, adding a paragraph at the end.

3. The self capacity to infinity is a well defined concept, although
often a cause of confusion. I've included a mention of it, partly for
completeness but also so that the text and analysis is not limited to
resonators operating with the earth as one terminal but can be
applied to a coil in free space with a limited ground plane. Not that
anyone intends operating a coil sticking out the doors of the Shuttle
payload bay, but it may help with the conceptual understanding of the
resonance and the earth's non-essential role in it. Anyway, if I
didn't include it, someone would say 'what about the cap to infinity
then?'. You're not alone in being uneasy about the Cinfinity. I've
found an eloquent exposition on the subject in an essay by Fred
Erickson, available in postscript from

 http://www.ttc-cmc.net/~fme/spheres.11-03-99.ps.gz

which deals with the Cinfinity of spheres, and of the earth.
If windows doesn't support the gnu compression, let me know and I'll
make available a decompressed version of this excellent work.

4. Agreed. I've added a final diagram to section 2 summarising the
resonator capacitance in terms of the physical capacitance functions
that have been introduced. Let me know if its on the right lines.

5. Thanks. It's important that section 4 comes across clearly as
the diff equs are the gateway to all that follows. The approach to
developing the diff equs by examining an infinitesimal segment of
conductor is conventional and will be familiar to elec eng
undergrads. It's the longitudinal terms that are peculiar to the
solenoid and make things hard to calculate.

6. The blocks of vertical whitespace occur because I told the
typesetter not to allow text to flow past the diagrams, so it cannot
float the diagrams to achieve a better fit with the page breaks.
I'll get around to numbering the diagrams at some point, so that I
can release them from their fixed positions wrt the text.
7. Thanks. A potentially doubtful part is in the last para of sect 5,
in which I handwave an explanation for the uniform intervals between
the higher overtones by suggesting that an in-coil wavelength is
small enough to span an approximately uniform patch of Cint. Perhaps
Boris may have some comment to make on this. If it remains doubtful
I'll take it out, because we haven't really studied this enough yet
to pronounce on it.

8. Agreed. I've inserted a VI graph for a more normal coil (your test
coil, as it happens. The h/d=1 example is Malcolm's 272 turn coil at
high elevation). See if you think that does the trick.

9. Yes, I could box the significant formulae. I tried it on a couple
of sections and it looked odd because too many of the equations were
boxed. It might be better to add some sort of appendix at the end as
a summary of definitions and useful formulae. I need to experiment.

10. I've introduced a mention of eddy coupling to both topload
and groundplane at the end of section 3, and then promptly dismissed
it as being negligible. Whether this is really the case remains to be
seen. So far it doesn't seem to be troublesome in comparing
simulations with measurements. This is a relief as I havn't been able
to make much process with quantifying it, as I said I would try to do
when we were looking at your low Q factors some time ago.
Terry,

Dealing with your comment 8 forced me to notice a major mistake in
sect 6. I'd stated that the current maximum coincided in position with
the voltage inflection point. That's almost true for the h/d=1 case
but by h/d=3 the two have noticeably separated. I've added a paragraph
commenting on this and explaining the reason why. This is just the
kind of defect that a stiff review of the document will help to
identify, so I'm pleased to see the process is working. Don't know
why I've been saying the two maxima coincided. It looked a bit that
way from the more prominent examples, so I just accepted it without
really going into it. Frightening how easy it is to take something for
granted.

Terry, thanks for your valuable comments - pn2511 is now noticeably
better as a result. I hope the others on the list will follow your
example. I've applied all the changes mentioned above, except for 9,
I'll need to experiment a bit there.

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn2511.ps

version is now 0.1c, 527 Kb. I'm afraid that renders the PDF copy
out of date. If you can handle gzip compression, you can download

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn2511.ps.gz

instead at 132 Kb.

> I hope this is of help.

Certainly was - Cheers,