TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:53:19 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] Time domain modeling

Hi All,

Another weekend looms, and I'll resist the temptation of the Corby
Teslathon in order to get a bit more done on the simulator software.

Malcolm, you were right when you wrote:

> at a glance, k looks to be pretty low for that system. ?

when referring to that Thor waveform. Found a coding error that messed
up the pri-sec coupling. The modes have the right phase too, now, so
we get a waveform that looks more like a real coil - I'll put up a gif
file later in the weekend - the code is in pieces right now.

It's amazing how many different ways there are to setup the solenoid
operator [A], I'm on my third attempt now - they all work but I'm
trying to keep program code in 1:1 correspondence with the math in
pn1401 so that it can be validated by inspection, and its a case of
finding a reasonable compromise between pn1401 clarity and program
speed. For some of the routines I've ended up with two versions, a
slow one which is inspectably correct, and a fast one which is
incomprehensible. A command line option toggles between the two, so
that the outputs can be checked for agreement. Anyway, yesterday I
found an intelligible construction for F and K which is O(N^3) and
today I made it work in the code, so there's light at the end of the
tunnel.

Finding the complex frequencies of the normal modes turns out to be
quite reliable - even when the system is heavily loaded at the top.
It starts to struggle at very low k-factors since it is trying to
distinguish between two very closely spaced modes, but the k values
in question are much lower than normally used on TCs. Other than that,
the det(A-1) appears very well behaved and the usual gradient descent
methods work fine. Has an interesting landscape - I'll include some
maps in pn1401.

The technique of inverse iteration, as a means of finding the normal
mode spatial distributions, works beautifully on the [A] operator,
very stable, and converges in just 1 or 2 iterations, providing
gamma is computed accurately enough - it wont let me get away with
being sloppy with the determinant. The method involves picking a
random vector and passing it 'backwards' through the operator, and
what emerges is a vector that's a lot less like a random vector and
more like the eigenvector. Take that vector and send it round again,
and so on. Potential trouble here with closely spaced modes - the
iteration can converge to the wrong mode, so you have to detect this
and start again with a different random vector.

I'm having to model at around 200 elements, in order to compute
det(A-1) in reasonable time, say less than 1 second. The matrix
triangulation is O(N^3).

The summation loops to form the solenoid operator A are also O(N^3),
but F and K can be computed just once, apart from a single factor
involving the series resistance Rs, which is frequency dependant.

The description of the coil in terms of a Fredholm integral is turning
out to be quite fruitful, mathematically speaking, meaning that from
time to time, nice things pop out of the equations - things that make
you want to stop and get a beer. For example, the solenoid operator
[A] can be decomposed into the product of two other operators,

   [A] = w^2 [L][C]

where C is a function of the Cint, Cext, Ctor, Ctop, and L is
a function of the secondary mutual inductance profile. Thus we end
up with a characteristic equation of

   det(w^2 LC - 1) = 0

where 1 is the identity operator. Thus in going from the lumped case
to the distributed case, we replace the lumped reactances with their
corresponding operators - operators which are differential in the
time domain, and integral in the spatial domain. All in all, quite a
simple and pleasant system to work with.

As regards load impedance, we must decide between two ways to model
this, and the decision must be left to nature. The question is this:
Can we get away with a time-averaged load impedance which is a
function of the top voltage averaged over a cycle or more, or must we
come to terms with an impedance which is changing significantly within
a cycle. Repeat this question with 'load impedance' replaced with
'gap resistance' and 'top voltage' replaced by 'primary current'.
Both these need answering by experiment. The matter boils down to
whether or not the top voltage and primary current are sine waves, or
are the peaks and troughs flattened or peaky? Scope traces of top
voltage waveform at various CW power levels within the brush
discharge regime, plus a control waveform at a level below breakout.
The waves can be LP filtered at say 20*Fres and we can FT the trace
data to determine the harmonic distortion. If low enough, we can use
a time averaged load impedance, rather than an instantaneous load
conductance, which represents a big reduction of CPU effort in the
time domain modeling.

Anyway, enough waffle,

Cheers for now,