TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:33:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Some Considerations

Marco, Malcolm and all,

Was thinking about this last night - a suspended capacitive divider as
Marco describes OR one going through the center of the coil should work as
long as the voltage stress is kept sufficiently low. The presence of the
divider will unavoidably disrupt the local E-field around the top terminal
as well as capacitively loading it. If we use low k materials around the
divider this should be controllable, and if the voltage is kept below the
point of corona or breakout around the divider (due to increased voltage
stress at the triple point of metal contact/air/housing) we should be OK.

Since we really don't need to capture any DC component, a simple capacitive
divider should work as long as corona can be prevented and as long as its
LF response is sufficient. Perhaps a chain of vacuum capacitors immersed in
oil and housed in a low dielectric constant (polypropylene or
polyethylene?) pipe? By immersing it in the more uniform E-field seen at
the top or bottom of the toroid, the E-stresses can be made more uniform
along the length of the divider. The problem with a pure capacitive divider
versus a compensated divider is the changing response characteristic versus
frequency, but allowances can be made for this.

I have also seen professional dividers that use ceramic capacitors in the
chain - have often wondered how they got around the effects of the
capacitance changing as a function of applied voltage (a common problem for
high-k ceramic dielectrics).

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman