TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 10:13:28 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Looking at the voltage 'red lines' in pn040502 we can compare the
height along the coil at which the voltage reaches, say 100kV.

Roughly,

 k=0.10:  height 25%
 k=0.20:  height 20%
 k=0.27:  height 15%

So we have some opportunity for increased likelyhood of strikes from
the coil outwards.  The most significan thing is that on going from
k=0.1 to k=0.27, the primary has to be placed closer to the coil,
and quite a bit higher up.  Even without the increased voltages, the
primary proximity alone would be enough to cause problems.

Another factor that I want to consider is what happens when a
discharge occurs from the topload.  The sudden loss of charge from
the topload appears to the secondary as a step transient applied to
the top, and this transient would be expected to propagate down the
coil.

I decided to model this for the case of the in-tune k=0.20 coil.

The waveforms for the first 10uS are shown in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn040502/tfsm1-h1d.wave.gif

The discharge occurs at 7.1uS - just as the topvolts reaches its
peak.

One very odd thing is that the resulting step is so small. This may
be a problem with the model - I expected a step going all the way
to zero volts and then recovering, but we see here only 1/6th of
the topvolts is lost.

The animation for this is in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn040502/tfsm1-h1d.anim.gif

and you can see a strong pulse travel down the coil to the base, to
be reflected back to the top.  As you can see from the voltage red
line, there is a considerable percentage increase in the voltage
near the bottom of the coil.

If the model is a little broken and that pulse is in fact much
bigger than shown, there is a 'potential' for trouble if you excuse
the pun.

Please can we have some captured traces of topvolts in a discharging
TC so that I can test this part of the model?  Meanwhile, I'll
try to figure out if that step size is wrong.