TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 09:28:35 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

--part1_c.27f08423.2a0fc803_boundary

In a message dated 5/11/02 6:32:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
paul@abelian.demon.co.uk writes:

> Tuning low seems to keep quite a lot of energy in the primary,
> thus reducing the peak topvolts but perhaps enabling the beat
> envelope to be sustained over more beats, thus generating
> fewer streamers but allowing them to grow longer.  Is this a
> recommended way to deal with a too-small topload?
>
> Paul,

I've never really heard the issue discussed much before.  It seems
that Malcolm's toroid on his coil has such a  large ROC, that
it may be tuned correctly, yet still barely breakout.  This may
be why he's getting such good results.  It would be interesting
to see if Malcolm's coil's tap points, etc. indicate a perfect tune
between pri/sec.  Probably you've calced all that anyway
Malcolm?  If Malcolm's coil calcs out to be tuned, this would
suggest the tuning model is working well.  Even if Malcolm's
primary is tuned lower than Fsec, it may be *closer* to a
proper tune than my TT-42.

Cheers,
John