TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:19:40 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

--part1_d8.17fff39c.2a1a6e0c_boundary

I'll have to think about this development a little more.  But one
thing comes to mind - this should imply that the streamer roots
on the topload will try to space themselves as far apart from each
other as they can, because as one streamer forms, its addition to
the space charge above that region of the topload will tend to
suppress further new streamers in that area.  Only away from that
root will the surface field attempt to exceed 26kV/cm and start
a new streamer.

Paul, Boris, all,

Very interesting about the space charge, I didn't realize it
would cause these effects.

I think that in all cases of streamer breakout that I've seen,
the streamers *do* space themselves as far away from each
other as possible.  Whatever number of streamers form, they tend
to be equally spaced around the toroid, at least in an
approximate way.  Proximity to walls, etc may affect that
some, I'm not sure.

Cheers,
John