TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:25:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Bart wrote:
> My assumed understanding of the 26kv/cm was I guess set on the North
> Report, in that, this value was the value of "corona inception". The
> spark itself breaking out would have to occur following this corona
> inception voltage.

Yes, I'm beginning to get the picture.

The program which estimates the breakdown potential, when applied
to breakdown between spheres, etc, gives roughly the same breakdown
voltages as are in the North Report, when I use the low frequency
value of 30kV/cm as the threshold.

Perhaps with close spheres, etc, the development of leaders and
breakdown of the gap follows rapidly from the initial streamers,
so that the full discharge appears to be pretty much at the same
voltage.   Maybe this isn't the case when the electrodes are a
long way apart.  Maybe the process of streamers combining into
leaders doesn't take place until the terminal potential is
rather higher?  I'll abandon further speculation because presumably
the answers are all in

> http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/phd_plank.pdf

which I'll read as soon as I can find a viewer.