TSSP: List Archives

From: Bryan Steinbach
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:41:52 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Update on progress

Class F uses a TL and a tank to produce a sine wave from a square.
I've been running optspice sims today on them, and there is a problem:
With numbers for a small table top magnifier coil, current flowing into
the TL can rise to 400A in 800uS!  This is at 300kHz and a 500nS pulse
width.

Bryan Steinbach

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:26:53 +0100 Paul
writes:
> Bryan Steinbach wrote:
>
> > You might try a Class F amplifier to reduce harmonics.
>
> Hmm, not sure what class F is. You could describe this driver
> as a voltage-switched class S though. Class S relies on a tank
> circuit to produce a sinusoidal current from a square voltage
> drive. In this case the tank is the tesla resonator.
>
> In one case the collector current was peaking 50% higher than
> it was supposed to - quite unpleasant!
> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> Manchester, UK.