TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 15:20:12 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Mystery of the missing loss

Hi Paul,

Today I raised the secondary coil up 12.5 inches with a holo styrofoam box.

With the bare coil. the Q was 61.7 and the Q was 97.3 with the toroid.
This compares to Q's of 57.7 and 80.9 with the coil on the continuous gound
plane.

So moving the coil further away from the eddy currents, or whatever, of the
plane did not have a "dramatic" effect on Q...

In retrospect, I think having the high voltage end of the coil near the
ground plane gave a lower loss secondary capacitance which was responsible
for the high Q reading.

The coil's Q seems to vary much depending on hard to control (at least in
one's basment) factors.  Perhaps if some "standard" evironment or setup
could be extablished that would go well with the math models, we could take
Q reading more consistently.  I fear the best expermenters trying to
reproduce the same Q measurements could get fairly large errors depending
on a number of little factors.  I would guess that +-20% accuracy is all
that could be expected.