TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 10:40:40 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Low Q Values

Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D. wrote:

> Some years ago Malcolm Watts conducted a series of careful,
> detailed measurements on close-wound and space-wound coils,
> examining the effect of toploads, H/D and winding spacing on
> coil Q. ...

Wasn't aware of that. I'd really like to see Malcolm's
conclusions - are they posted on the net somewhere perhaps?
Did he look at the higher overtones also? I wonder if he would
donate his measurements to extend our reference database?
If someone has put such effort into a series of measurements we
really should be making full use of their results.

> The coupling between the coil and ground plane is probably more
> capacitive than inductive, since mutual inductance falls off
> quickly with distance and is small if the coil is raised at least
> two coil diameters above the ground plane.  Capacitive effects
> are not so easily sorted out, however.

I think we're doing a good job of quantifying the capacitance
of the coil - the frequencies come out right. Mark - do you
disagree with any of the following assumptions which are
constraining my thoughts at the moment:
1/ Assuming negligible loss factor for the E field due to
operating over a good groundplane - equiv a couple of ohms only.
2/ Must be strong coupling of B field to ground plane - evidence
is reduction of coil L by 3% from the Nagaoka value.
3/ A large part of the 'missing loss' may be eddy current losses,
evidence: when coil raised, Q goes up. If it were E field loss
the Q would go down.

> My modelling of proximity effects predict Terry Fritz's large
> coil to have a Q of 305 unloaded, and 204 with an operating
> frequency of 97 kHz.

I get 220 unloaded and 147 loaded.

> ... effective resistance of 228 ohms for the unloaded coil
> and 226 ohms for the toploaded coil ...

I get 175 ohms and 160 ohms respectively.

Can we compare numbers? Consider the toroided case, I get:
(1000 turns, 0.255mm wire radius, winding 0.762m by 0.260m)
DC resistance: 70 ohms.
Skin depth (97.36 kHz): 0.213 mm
Wire area used: 97%
Straight conductor AC resistance: 71.8 ohms
spacing ratio: 0.67
phi factor: 2.23 (from Medhurst table VIII)

Wound resistance: 71.8 x 2.23 = 160 ohms.

against your 226 ohms, so one or both of us are wrong. Mark,
can you check where our arithmetic diverges?

> Lots to ponder here.

Yep! Not least that our calculated Q factors go up when
toroid removed, the measured value goes down. To me
thats another indicator of eddy current losses.

I've been trying to calculate the impact of Terry's foil
ground plane. Thought I had all the component formulae but
its not working. I'm integrating the effect of nested current
loops to get silly answers. One reason: I've not taken account
of mutual coupling between the nested loops in the foil.
Right now I'm throwing my hands up in despair and looking for
a handbook formula. Any tips or references anyone?

Regards,