TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:45:05 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Low Q Values

Mark,

Lets just clarify this. Your small coil, and all of Malcolm's data,
plus your and my calculations all indicate that a decrease of Q with
added topload is the norm. The proposal is that increase of Q with added
topload, as exhibited by Terry's coil, is a sign of eddy current loss.

Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D. wrote:

> I was using less wire spacing than you.  I, too, use Medhurst Table
> VIII.  Are you sure the spacing is .67?  It seems a bit off.

I calculate the spacing factor as the proportion of winding length
spanned by copper, ie turns * wire_diameter / coil_length.

For Terry's coil, 1000 * 0.00051m / 0.762m = 0.67

Mark wrote:
> There are several series approximations for estimating mutual
> inductance but they work poorly with tesla coil geometries because
> you end up subtracting terms with large values in the series.

Yes, I've a lovely formula summing products of Legendre polynomials
which suffers exactly that problem.

> Can you describe the geometry you are looking to solve?

That of a single turn circular loop above and parallel to
a ground plane. I want to know the change in Q factor of the
the loop, as a function of ground plane thickness, conductivity,
height of loop, and of course f. Thats the ideal form to be
fitted into the computer model of the solenoid - it can just go
in as an adjustment to the series resistance of each turn.
I'm happy to ignore second order effects such as coupling from a
solenoid turn via eddy loops to other solenoid turns.

I feel sure that somewhere in a dusty old textbook there's a
formula waiting for me to find it. I dont really want to be
doing elliptic integrals if it can be avoided.

Also, if you have a good formula for mutual inductance between
coaxial circular current filaments, please pass it on - I'm not
too happy with the one in use at the moment.

Regards,