TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:11:02 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Mystery of the missing loss

Hi Terry, all,
               My antennae shot up when I read this:

***********>
***********>

> This secondary is a 1/8 inch thick cardboard impregnated with paraffin wax
> "sonotube" used for circular concrete forms.  This wire may have had an
> oxide layer at the surface before it was coated.  The vacuum cap is
> probably more lossy at low capacitance than high  Maybe the polyurethane
> coating is doing something...  The list goes on...  but I seem to be
> getting super high loss as frequency increases.

My one *really* bad secondary (which I actually threw away)
was wound on sonotube with the tar layer removed. That coil
was spacewound to boot!
      I don't think the polyurethane is the culprit. More
likely the paper form. Wax is possibly also not the best.
Remember those old transformers from the forties? which went
o/c in the sixties? the rotted copper inside complete with
verdigris (sp?)? I never decided whether they were trapping
moisture inside or admitting it.

> >4.)EM Coupling of secondary with enviroment and losses
> >outside a coil structure.
>
> I have done such tests a number of times in a number of places and gotten
> similar results.  I don't have an oxygen free silver plated room coated
> with a gold anti-oxidation layer or anything, but the room is not all that
> unusual...  I would guess the previous option three...

I think that is a good bet. The room does make difference once
Q's get beyond a hundred or so but not to that extent (say six
foot clearance all round).

> >I don't belive that Terry made serious mistakes
> >relating 2 and 3.Neither that the reason for very high
> >Garry Johnson's secondary coil Q in order of 500
> >is some kind of superior secondary construction.
> >But I do belive it is due to point 4.
> >That would be the reason:Enviroment and resonator
> >position in it.
> >I'm quite convinced Terry's secondary coil Q results
> >would be much better in different enviroment
> >conditions.
>
> I have played with some modelling and I think the "room" is far enough away
> that it should not be a factor.  It is raining now so outside is not an
> option.  There are a number of things in the Rac loop but the coil form
> really does seem lossy to me...

Me too.
Regards,
malcolm