TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:32:58 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Progress report 28th Sep 2000

Malcolm Watts wrote:

> The obvious possibility is msmt error.

I'm inclined to agree with you that the overall consistency of your
set of measurements is encouraging. You have already highlighted the
one doubtful reading. There is always the possibility of systematic
error but I think that suggestion should be kept decidedly in
reserve.

> Therefore, I would be interested to know what an approach other
> than Medhurst suggests and how Medhurst arrives at his result.

I have doubts about the applicability of Medhurst's Q results to
tesla resonators. Medhurst made his AC resistance measurements at
frequencies well below the lowest self resonant frequency, by
swamping Cself with large external capacitances. This forces the
coil's current distribution to be almost uniform. Thus we might
expect an additional factor to occur when considering coils operating
near their bare self resonant frequency. This effect would be more
pronounced in the absence of a topload, since then the current
non-uniformity is highest. This discrepancy would not be noticed in
the conventional applications for Medhurst AC resistance estimates,
since most HF inductors work with circuit capacitances significantly
higher than the self capacitance and therefore have uniform current.

As a result I'm looking to find a way to calculate the effective
AC resistance independently of Medhurst.

On primary ringdown measurements,

> The *relative* times and levels give all the information needed
> to calculate differences in proportional losses on a per-cycle
> basis.

Your observed scale invariance of the ringdown (with respect
presumably to bang energy and frequency) suggests to me that
if the gap resistance is significant, then it must also be more
or less constant with current and frequency. Alternatively, if the
gap resistance is not constant (which I might reasonably expect to
be the case) then it must be relatively small.

> General rules can be derived such as constant (or nearly so)
> voltage drop per gap etc.

Presumably then the (nearly constant) grap volts drop is small.
Would that indicate that the dominant factor in primary circuit
loss is not the gap?

> I think the major thing to come out of my secondary
> research was that for non-output discharge applications,
> secondary characteristics really matter but if one is
> designing for long sparks, those considerations, while
> important to a certain extent are relegated to the stalls,
> because the emphasis now shifts to dealing with the
> characteristics of ionized air and how best to make it do what
> is required.

Agreed. Terry has described satisfactory performance from his
coil despite a low measured Q. Any predictions of voltage and
current from our software model will only apply to small signal
operation. We might hope that one day we will be able to predict
Q, but will that help in optimising real world coils? Perhaps
not.

Regards,