TSSP: List Archives

From: "B2"
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:58:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Progress report 28th Sep 2000

Hi Paul,
> As a result I'm looking to find a way to calculate the effective
> AC resistance independently of Medhurst.
=20
> Regards,
> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> Manchester, UK.
> --
    I have found two sources that may be helpful.  One is at the =
Coilcraft website under "RF Inductors" at http:\www.coilcraft.com .  =
They give Pspice parameters for modeling HF coil resistance of air core =
coils.  It ought to be massageable to single layer coils for one adept =
at Pspice:)  The other is a reference that I found in the January 1998 =
issue of IEEE Transactions on Magnetics on page 205 by E. Fraga, C =
Prados, and D. -X. Chen titled "Practical model and calculation of AC =
resistance of long solenoids".  In the article they show how the usual =
Bessel function formulae for AC resistance of conductors vs frequency is =
in error.  They derive a formula that still uses hyperbolics but claim =
high accuracy for long solenoids.  Hope this helps.  I still have 160 =
e-mails to read=3D=3D:)

Cheers,
Barry