TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:12:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] The Corum's model?

Terry referred me to

> http://63.225.104.49/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/Corum1/

I'll keep this short and skip passed all the stuff pages 1-7 and go
straight to the controversial pages 8 and 9,

  http://63.225.104.49/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/Corum1/2-08.jpg
  http://63.225.104.49/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/Corum1/2-09.jpg

in which we are shown figure 4 depicting a large voltage rise which
begins at the opening of the primary gap.

The peak voltage which is achieved at the end of 'coherence time' is
obliged to be commensurate with the energy budget. The secondary
resonance, released from its coupling with the primary, evolves into
that of the familiar steady state quarter wave resonance. Therefore the
normal energy budget applies to the system and no extraordinary voltages
can be expected.

I'll just make clear what I mean by 'normal energy budget'.

Twice each cycle when the current is momentarily zero all along the
coil the entire net energy is stored in the distributed capacitance and
topload.  The top voltage achieved for a given stored energy thus
depends on both the capacitance distribution and the instantaneous
voltage distribution.

* This energy cannot exceed the initial primary tank energy, yet the
distributed capacitance and topload have to be charged. There lies the
fundamental limit to output voltage. *

You may argue over how the energy is put in, or how precisely the
voltage distribution evolves over the time during which the energy is
being fed in, but the eventual resonant voltage distribution is a
function only of the geometry of the system, the net energy, and the
choice of resonant mode. I might put it this way: during the
'coherence time' the resonator forgets where it got its energy from.

So what do we make of the results hinted at in figure 5?  Since, on the
firm basis of energy considerations alone, there is no prospect for an
'extraordinary' increase in output voltage, we must assume that the
final voltage achieved was merely typical. The only reasonable question
then is why was the secondary voltage abnormaly low before the primary
gap opened? This is hard to say since the authors have omitted to tell
us what initial primary tank energy was involved, so we are unable to do
the obvious elementary energy budget calculations. Nor are we allowed to
scrutinize the experimental setup so we can but speculate on the meaning
of figure 5. There are some other peculiarities: why is the Q factor so
low for the coil described? Why do they open the gap at exactly the
wrong place in the beat? Considering the authors are reporting
'astonishing' and controversial results, and in view of the experience
and qualifications claimed by the authors, one would expect the
presentation of experimental results to be both thorough and impeccable.

I won't bother to comment on the rest of this document!

Both these Corum documents are pretty poor. Elementary conceptual
errors combined with a tendency to introduce extraneous concepts which
can only be intended to impress rather than inform lead to thoroughly
confusing and misleading documents which would not survive a
professional review body, nor even it seems, an amateur one!

The onus remains firmly with the authors to get their act together,
meanwhile I'm not inclined to waste any further time on this, unless
any present list members need points clarifying.

Regards All,