TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:19:14 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] Terry's modact results

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:
> >> I would like to submit my paper at:
> >>
> >> http://users.better.org/tfritz/site/papers/modact/modact.html
> >>
> >> for perusal...

Paul Nicholson replied:
> >Good stuff Terry, a few comments...

> >DC offset to the primary ring voltage - the gap is rectifying?
>
> Possibly.  The gap is symmetrical but the initial spike may
> cause the conduction to be offset for a time.

Hmm, that's the problem, the primary time constant is too short to
allow a constant DC offset to be sustained for this long, so either
the gap is rectifying, or something non-linear in the V probe is
introducing a bias, or perhaps this represents DC from the supply
passing through the arc and we're seeing it dropped across the
primary DC resistance.

> >On secondary waveforms:
> >
> >The notches do coincide on this one. What's with the DC offset
> >appearing in the secondary top voltage trace?  Probe artifact?
> >I see no way for the secondary to sustain DC for so long.
>
> That offset is very real.  Apparently, negative charges arc far
> more easily than positive charges so the net DC effect is seen.
> Richard Hull also observed this effect.  My ignition coil TC's
> actually arc further in one polarity than the other due to this
> effect. The DC charge is only there for a few hundred uS.

Thats fascinating, if you're sure its not a probe artifact. Does
the DC offset vanish if you operate at a level below breakout?

> >Some arithmetic:
> >
> >Primary tank volts at trigger, 14kV, across 17nF gives
> >a bang energy 1.67 Joules.
> >
> >Secondary peak top voltage 260kV across (16.7+10.3) pF
> >gives 0.91 Joules.
> >
> >Therefore overall efficiency of energy transfer primary tank to
> >secondary tank is 54%. Seems reasonable.
>
> I have posted a few detailed studies of where all the power is going in
> such systems.  This is close to our system of interest.
>
>                                 Watts   Percent
> Power into coil                 840     100
> Power in 50 foot cable          15.88   1.89
> Power in neon primary   30.47   3.63
> Power in neon secondary         38.2    4.55
> Power in NST filter             96.4    11.48
> Power in gap                    156     18.57
> Power in primary cap            9.354   1.11 (7.5C temp rise)
> Power in primary coil           76.08   9.06
> Power in secondary coil         71.84   8.55
> Power in self capacitance       14.95   1.78
> Power in terminal capacitance   8.49    1.01
> Power to arc                    322.0   38.33
> TOTAL                   839.66  99.96

Comparing the efficiency from the trace calculations with the efficiency
obtain from your energy budget, the two come out nice and close,
54% and 46% respectively. I think you've got a good overall picture
of operation here.

> MicroSim is more than capable of doing transmission line models too.  I
> have tried this but the lumped models gave good results without the
> dramatic calculation times needed for lossy coupled lines.  Many of the
> small harmonic features can be reproduced with T-line models however.

You'll have a hard time simulating things with a standard transmission
line model. They don't take account of either the non-uniformity
or the longitudinal coupling. You'll be obliged to guess line
constants that are in some sense average equivalents and so the
end results won't be significantly more accurate than the approximations
involved in applying a lumped model.

> I hope this is all not straying too much from our topic here, but
> I wanted to point these methods if they can be of help.

No problem there!  Reports of experimental results and techniques are
very welcome. Theory is just conjecture without experimental support
so the two must be developed together. I'll look forward to hearing
about the next round of experiments.