TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:22:06 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] Phase constant in a tesla secondary

Referring to the first paragraph in section 5 in

   http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/pn1310.ps

I point out that the phase constant

    beta(a) = omega sqrt( L(a) C(a))

as a function of position a, is no longer valid when longitudinal
coupling is present.

I believe Robert Jones was looking into the case of the infinite
solenoid in the presence of longitudinal coupling.

Robert, we haven't heard from you in a while, are you still with us?

Is there anything you can tell us about beta in a long tesla coil?
How is beta modified by the mutual inductance and internal capacitance?

The tsim model can offer tentative answers to these questions,
subject to the correctness of the program. I'm looking for a
qualitative analytical indication of how beta is affected, for
use as a cross check on tsim.

Tentative conclusions from tsim are:

Mutual inductance decreases beta in a frequency dependant way,
causing a rise in velocity at higher frequencies, thus pushing
up the frequency of the higher order resonances.

Internal capacitance increases beta in a frequency dependant way,
reducing velocity at higher frequencies, thus depressing the
frequencies of the higher resonance.

Regards,