TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:05:07 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Surprising secondary voltage profiles

Hi All,

I have a CW coil.  It drives about 900 watts at 350kHz.  It is driven from
a commercial plasma power supply which is very stable.  I can easily
control forward power.  Could I plot an equipotential contour around it
with a low Z probe of some type that would have minimal effect.  I was
thinking like a neon bulb on the end of some benign rod.  Something that
would not affect the coil much.  I can easily set the power down below
breakout.  I think you can put a resistor between the leads of the neon
bulb to control it's sensitivity.  Perhaps the detuning technique I used in
late 87 with the non-linear coils experiment to map the field around those
coils:

http://users.better.org/tfritz/site/papers/nonlinearcoils/NonLin.html

I think Dr. Rzeszotarski has done this.  Any ideas on set up or what to use
for a probe, especially the rod holding it, would be great.  Perhaps a thin
wood dowel or balsa wood rod.  Styrofoam is supposed to be pretty
transparent to electrical fields but it may be too weak...  I will try and
post some details of the CW coil (a long overdue  task)...  I suppose I
would need some X-Y frame to find the exact position to lamp lights.

I would think getting a pretty accurate map of the E-field around a
powerful stable CW coil would be within the reach of our modern equipment
and knowledge.  I would hope such a test could answer this convex/concave
thing.