TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:16:02 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] V profile by a gradient detector

I suggested:

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:
> The voltage transducer is a fairly big shielded metal box.
> I fear it would not work well like this.

Yes, the risk is that the probe will short-circuit the very
gradient its trying to measure. Another problem is that the
gradient will be quite sensitive to the gap between coil and
probe tips. I guess the same is true of any close-in V probe,
the coil-probe gap and the detector input C will form a
potential divider.

I'm tempted to have a go at this myself. I have a large coil
available, 1.6 by 0.6 metres, so a differential sensor
will be 'small' alongside it. The problem I think will be
maintaining a uniform coil-probe separation. A dielectric block
between coil and probe tips might do the trick, so that the
thing can just be pressed against the coil and held by tape.

One thing's for sure, the added internal capacitance by this
method will perturb the system much less than the external
capacitance imposed by a probe referenced to earth.