TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:06:51 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Surprising secondary voltage profiles

At 11:12 AM 10/17/2000 +0100, you wrote:
snip...

>A couple more questions Terry, were you driving the coil with
>CW from the base or was a primary winding involved? Was there
>a ground plane around the base of the coil?

CW sine generator driving a bar or terminated coil from the base with no
primary coil.  The ground plane was just the floor.

>Concerning E-Tesla5, Terry wrote:
>> but the profile really should be a plain "V" boundary condition.
>
>Yes, for the E-field to make sense you have to use the plain V
>profile on the coil to get the correct field. I think you'd then
>have to sum the flux as it arrives at the surface of the coil,
>separately for each grid cell on that surface. Then weight the
>resulting 'external C per cell' by the V^2 at that cell and sum
>for the total stored energy in the cap, from which you'd get
>a properly weighted equivalent cap for Fo calculations.
>
>How does E-Tesla5 estimate the effect of internal capacitance?
>I think you use a gaussian surface which includes the whole
>coil, so only external flux will be detected. If I 'switch off'
>Cint in tsim, the Fo goes from around 150kHz to around 162kHz.

It just seems to work out automatically.  If I remove the top terminal, it
goes to the bare coil case and you just see the coil's Medhurst
capacitance.  I do use different profiles for the bare coil and coil with a
top load cases.  In effect, the voltage profiles a set on the surface of
the secondary coil must take this into account without specifically
calculating it.  The secondary voltage profiles are simulated based on my
voltage profile study.

I am still trying to think of a way to measure voltage profiles.  My RF
power supply is forward power regulated, thus it will have to dissipate
power into an arc or something to really run.  The power dissipation will
play havoc with the measurements.  Still thinking on that...