TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:45:35 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] Progress report 18th Oct 2000

A quick note to summarise the project status, as quite
a bit of ground has been covered lately and I just wanted
to paint a clear picture of where we're at.

Theory notes pn1310 at

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/pn1310.ps

section 5 onwards contain simple, physically justifiable
extensions to transmission line theory in order to
accomodate the longitudinal couplings of a tesla coil.

These extensions are self consistent and converge, in the
absence of longitudinal coupling, to the standard
transmission line solutions. The theory forms the basis
for this project's tsim simulator which is known to do a
reasonable job of predicting resonant frequencies and
the dispersion due to the longitudinal coupling.

A number of other testable predictions emerge:

A) Expected V/I profiles are described in pn1710 at

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/pn1710

and some of these examples could and should be checked by
experiment.

B) Also pn1310 equations 7.7 and 8.4 place approximate bounds
on the resonant frequency when Cmed is either calculated from
the geometry by a laplace solver, or measured for the coil
in-situ by the 'Medhurst/Howe' method. This could be confirmed
by reference to already published measurements, and by new
measurements.

C) Further, predictions of transimpedance, equations 9.1 and 9.2,
can be put to the test by simultaneous CW measurements of
base current and top voltage.

Finally, there are a number of interesting consequences of
the basic theory pn1310, which may be hinted at in some of the
examples in pn1710. These may possibly have some bearing on efficient
tesla coil operation. Obviously these would be contingent on
satisfactory experimental confirmation of the points listed above.

It has become clear that some considerable attention needs to
be paid to finding ways to produce reliable unequivocal voltage
profile measurements. Existing methods are producing conflicting
answers. Here's hoping the experimenters out there will rise
to this stiff challenge.

Just few general points about theory notes and things. I've posted
up a few items lately but not had much feedback from the list
apart from Terry.  Not having any other review process available
I'm completely dependant on the list members to scrutinize project
material and challenge anything that's at odds. We've seen recent
examples where faulty ideas have gone unchallenged by critical
review and thus worked their way into the common understanding.
I'm sure we're all anxious not to contribute to this and our
only safeguard is the willingness to criticize one another's
efforts. Only then can we claim to be engaged in a scientific
process.

I also believe that if someone presents an idea, the onus is
on them to be able to fully explain it properly, so if I've
failed to do that anywhere, please do point it out.

Some recent discussions turned to the subject of primary
operation spark gaps, and arc/corona loading.

Boris wrote:

> Hmm..Seems we are digressing bit of concentration to
> bare secondary behavior (without arcs).OK,I can live
> with that.

I can live with that too. Although this list was set up to
carry discussions relating to a particular software project,
I've no desire at all to enforce that. Personally I'm quite
happy to see posts on other technical issues. Recent
discussions on primary gaps and secondary arc loading have
certainly sparked my interest.

In terms of scope, I see the following topics as being
particularly relevant to tesla coiling state-of-the-art:

* Primary gap characteristics and their bearing on efficiency.
* Primary/secondary coupling, optimisation for minimum transfer
  time.
* Dependency of secondary V/I distributions on the system
  geometry.
* Optimisation of geometry to achieve the most favourable
  V distribution for a given stored energy.
* Effects of corona and arc loading on secondary operation.

Currently only the 3rd and maybe the 4th item are within the scope
of the tsim/tlap modeling program but I don't see any need to
constrain the project to those. On the contrary, I think we'd
all agree that the secondary can only be understood properly in
context, so I propose that the list of topics above be taken
as a guide to scope. I think we have between us the ingredients
to make some real progress on these topics, and I for one am
feeling quite excited about the prospects.

That's all for now,

Best regards to all,