TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:45:23 -0600
Subject: [TSSP] NSVPI - Early Results

Hi All,

Here are the early raw results of the voltage profiling experiment.

One inch sections of the coil were numbered 1,2,...30 with the base section
being 1.

The secondary was scratched at every inch to gain electrical contact.

The profiler had to be held by a tripod since there was no way it could be
held by hand.  I had to position it, get away for a moment, pull the probe
out and take the reading.

I tested the probe in the forward and reverse directions and the reading
were the same.

I retested a single section three times and the reading were extremely
consistent.

I had to check continuity with a voltmeter when the probe was place to
insure the delicate contact was made.  I then shorted the cap to insure it
was at zero voltage before the reading.  very delicate and tedious but
fairly tolerable.

The coil was driven by a <1 ohm Z signal generator but a 49.8 ohm surface
mount resistor was put inline for current sensing.  Thus, the generator had
a 50 ohm impedance.

The frequency was 146.45 kHz. The voltage drop across the resistor was
46.5mV ACrms  The generator puts out 0.7071 VACrms, or 1 volt peak, or 2
volts P-P.  It is a MAX038 Chip device.  The multimeter is an HP34401.  The
scope is a Tektronix B210.

Reading the voltage of the cap with the fancy digital storage scope was
child's play.  It was consitant and deadly accurate.  At these low
voltages, the cap should have not drifted at all.

>From the above, The input voltage was 0.6606 VACrms at 0.9337mA at 146.45kHz.

Exciting pictures of the mess can be found at:

http://63.225.104.49/TeslaCoils/Misc/PaulNich/ProfilerPics/

At the moment I have tested sections 22 to 30 and the numbers are as
follows.  Section 30 is the top.

These numbers need the diode drop added still.  That number seems to be
0.12 volts.

Position 	Peak Voltage (Vdc)

30		0.60
29		0.92
28		1.06
27		1.32
26		1.42
25		1.64
24		1.70 1.68 1.68    (Repeated 3 times)
23		1.78
22		1.98 1.96   (reversed probe)

At this point it was supper time and my knees started to give out.  If
there are any bumps around 27,26,25,  those were the very first readings
and things were "uncontrolled" a bit...

I have only taken the data and typed it up here so I have not really looked
thoughtfully at the numbers yet.  I assume they make sense (hope hope).  I
do note that the steel ruler theory seems to be in serious trouble =:o)

I hope to get the rest of the points tonight if the old body can do it.
All seems to go very well and the readings seem very good but it is hard
work!  This is all minutes fresh so forgive any obvious errors.

Comments and suggestions or always welcome.