TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:12:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Q goes a long way

boris petkovic wrote:

> Back to resonator Q issues.
> The final conclusion of all the conducted msms about
> measured and predicted secondary Q and sometimes the
> significant differences between these two ,was that it
> might be due to unusually high dielectric loss in a
> coil form.

Well I've always dismissed that, since the volume of material
involved is small, but... it does suffer the maximum
voltage gradient directly, and, well we seem to have exhausted
the copper loss options. So I'm inclined to agree with Boris
that we should look at these possibilities now.

> To additionally support such standpoint maybe this
> idea could be of help:
> 1)To measure Q of heavy wire solenoids having no coil
> form material within its cavity and isolation around
> its cooper wire (except air of course).
> 2)To compare measured and predicted values for Q

I agree. It may be better however to take an existing coil
which shows anomalous high loss and add *more* dielectric,
say for example insert another, smaller, tube of the same
material inside the coil, to see if the loss goes up
significantly.

Or perhaps better, take a coil for which the Q predictions
do match, and use it as a 'sample chamber' into which sample
tube materials can be inserted and the additional loss calculated
from the Q change.

Regards,