TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:56:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [TSSP] Q goes a long way

Hi All,

Back to resonator Q issues.
The final conclusion of all the conducted msms about
measured and predicted secondary Q and sometimes the
significant differences between these two ,was that it
might be due to unusually high dielectric loss in a
coil form.
To additionally support such standpoint maybe this
idea could be of help:
1)To measure Q of heavy wire solenoids having no coil
form material within its cavity and isolation around
its cooper wire (except air of course).
2)To compare measured and predicted values for Q

For instance, I remember Terry had such inductor when
he was investigating fast transients in moments when
spark gap started to conduct.
(I can't tell exactly but I think it had Fo something
about 3 Mhz)
The inductor in question is nothin else than a sort of
space wound coil.
So, the msm. of its Q and Q of other bigger similar
structure would be welcome.
As larger and more turns solenoid-the better ,becouse
of difficulties appearing at higher frequencies.

Just a thought,
Regards,
Boris

http://im.yahoo.com/