TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 07:14:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

I've recomputed the model of Terry's coil having adjusted
the E-field loss factor to give the measured Q of 70, and I've
altered the inductance to 75.1mH

I expected that the raised inductance and the increased loss
would dispose of some of the residual few percent error in the
top voltage estimate as compared with the integrated value
from Terry's gradient measurements.

In fact this hasn't happened. Short of tampering with the
capacitance distribution produced by the laplace solver I
can't get rid of the residual error. The plummeting Q has
not noticeably reduced the transimpedance so the predicted
topvolts remains on the high side of the measurement.

One thing of note is that now the loss factor has been set
to match the given Q, the input impedance prediction comes out
at 713 ohms - in accordance with Terry's measurements. Previous
attempts to make both Q and Zin match simultaneously failed since
the extra loss was imposed by artificialy increasing Rs.
Attributing all the extra loss to the E-field does the trick
nicely, and gives me a bit more confidence in the stored energy
and Q factor calculations.

Under these conditions, the energy loss breakdown in the secondary
is 83% into the E-field, presumably mostly sonotube, and 17% into
the coil resistance. The overall E-field loss factor required to
drop the Q to 70 is a whopping 0.0139, considering the sonotube
takes up a small volume of the field, the sonotube loss itself
must be very high indeed.

Regards,