TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:08:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Linux, clustering and distributed computing

Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> sounds like RH7 will do all the neat tricks.

> Since web servers spend 99.9% of their time doing nothing, This
> may be a great "hobby" for its spare time.  Running the server
> from RH7 instead of Win 2K is probably not a problem at all.

RH will make a superb web server, fast and secure. You've a choice
of several server 'daemons', apache, roxen, etc - I still use
the original NCSA web server! If you have a permanent IP connection,
do try and setup an old slow machine as a firewall, there'll be
howto instructions lurking in the RH booklet, or somewhere under
/usr/doc/HOWTO/

> I think a few other people have managed to get RH7 to work for
> a server :-))

Just a few! :)

> Probably would not be a big deal having both OSs with full server
> ability so either could serve...

Yup, you'll probably find your windows partition will fall into
disuse after a while. When you install you can select an X window
manager that gives a look and feel similar to the awkward clunky
interface of windows. When you get fed up of that you can switch
to the more sophisticated, slicker, unix type window managers, eg
AfterStep or Enlightenment. With these, your 'desktop' is many
times the area of the 'glass' screen, so as you scroll the mouse
to the sides of the screen, the desktop scrolls underneath dragging
the glass viewport across the desktop. This way you can really fill
the machine up! Its not unusual to have a hundred or more windows
open - you soon get in the (good) habit of opening an application
and not bothering to shut it down, instead you just set aside an
area of desktop for it to live in and leave it there permanently.

PS, if you're going for serious 'workstation' mode as above, a
21" monitor is a real plus. Run it 1600 x 1200 x 16 bit pixels,
with a desktop about 12 or 18 times that size. BTW a 3 button
mouse is a must, as all 3 are used.

> With the computer thing and TC stuff, it will be a
> busy weekend.  :-))

Sounds like it. Good luck with the installations!