TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:48:21 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

Malcolm wrote [referring to the sonotube loss discovery]:
> That is an encouraging find. I think it lends some credence to
> the kinds of Q's I was measuring on both the PVC and HDPE
> coils. It means that very good coils can easily be built.

Malcolm, I don't think there's any doubt that the kind of Q
factors that you were measuring are typical, my coil(s) too
give a Q in the several hundreds. Terry's big LTR is unusually
lossy but the noteable point is that it does not really hamper
performance in the disruptive system. My guess is that if an
identical coil but with a high Q was substituted, the performance
would only be a few percent higher. Hopefully in the not too
distant future we'll be able to take a close look at the coupling
process in the time domain, and then we'll be able to say
precisely how much a low Q impinges on system performance.

> I enjoyed reading your pn1310 (?) paper. The arguments
> look prima facie reasonable to me and the fact that they fit a
> measured profile is most encouraging.

Yes it is, and thanks for taking a look at pn1310. I don't think
it contains anything controversial, its just a few statements and
definitions which stick closely to basic charge and energy
conservation.

> I am enjoying participating in a group which is putting
> some real science into the "art" of coiling.

Yes, me too. It's a bit of a contrast with wider coiling
community, there's plenty of confused ideas and some quite gross
misinformation circulating around out there! I've not come across
a branch of electrical engineering that has this much mythology
built up around it - it's as if rationality survives up to around
the primary coil, but beyond that folk often seem to forget that
the laws of physics still apply.

> It is nice to think that at the end of the various threads of
> investigation a coil will be designable to a specification.

Once the current flurry of software changes have gone through and
been bedded down, there's a good chance we can set about a
distributed computing effort to explore the configuration space
to find optimum systems. Then we'll know what spec to design to!

Regards,