TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:58:35 -0700
Subject: [TSSP] Low Sonotube Q - It's the water!

Hi All,

        I took my smaller bare Quik-Tube and sprayed it lightly with water to
see what affect it would have on my big coil's Q when placed the damp smaller
tube inside it.  The outer paper was just damp as this stuff does not absorb
water real well.

With the small tube dry I got a Q of 38.4 which is about half of my regular
coil's Q.

With the small tube damp...  I could not measure the Q!  It was far too low to
take any real measurement.  Apparently, only a little water in these tubes will
completely devastated the Q!!

I must seriously now question using Sonotube/Quik-Tube in damp environments!!
However, perhaps drying and sealing will make it more resistant to water?

This would probably make one great humidity measuring device!