TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 09:40:08 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

Hi,

At 02:48 PM 10/29/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Malcolm wrote [referring to the sonotube loss discovery]:
>> That is an encouraging find. I think it lends some credence to
>> the kinds of Q's I was measuring on both the PVC and HDPE
>> coils. It means that very good coils can easily be built.
>
>Malcolm, I don't think there's any doubt that the kind of Q
>factors that you were measuring are typical, my coil(s) too
>give a Q in the several hundreds. Terry's big LTR is unusually
>lossy but the noteable point is that it does not really hamper
>performance in the disruptive system. My guess is that if an
>identical coil but with a high Q was substituted, the performance
>would only be a few percent higher.
snip...

I ran a MicroSim model with the secondary resistance at 391 ohms and then
at 100 ohms to see what kind off effect a low loss secondary may have.  The
streamer power went from 242 watts to 264 watts or about a 9% improvement
in power.  That translates to about a 4.5 percent increase in streamer length.