TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:55:33 +1300
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

On 5 Nov 00, at 22:36, Paul wrote:

> Malcolm Wwrote:
>
> > ...If you buy the notion suggested by a crude analysis of that
> > behaviour that gap loss is predominantly V.I rather than I^2.R
> > and that Vconducting is approaching constancy, you can see why.
>
> Yes, I see, it's the small constant Vgap. I suppose by definition the
> gap loss must be V.I, so long as V changes sign promptly when I does,
> ie we can ignore the self inductance and capacitance of the gap. Also
> by definition I^2.R applies, so it's not a case of one rather than the
> other - its just that we have to accept that R is a function R(I).

The characterization I gave is a crude first order one and not exact
as Martin's work (amongst others) shows. Vcond is not entirely
constant but is not linearly inversely proportional to I either.
There is an asymptotic tendency in the curve as I increases. I agree
one cannot ignore R as such since it is the only way to model a
dissipative function. Inherently it is built into a VI consideration.
I is of course a sinusoidal fn in a ringing circuit which makes R one
as well.

> A couple more questions,
>
> Recently Barry posted:
>
> > ...J.C.Martin in the book "J.C.Martin on Pulsed power"
> > ... he gives the formula for spark gap impedance as
>
> > ((1.7 * L)/ r) + Z
> > where L is the inductance of the spark channel,
> > r is the length of the resistive phase, and
> > Z is the impedance on Ohms of the circuit driving the spark gap.
>
> > ... he gives his famous formula for the resistive phase of spark
> > formation as (88/(Z**(1/3) * F**(4/3)))  * (rho/rho-zero)**(1/2)
> > where the time is in nanoseconds, Z is the impedance driving the
> > plasma channel in Ohms, F is the field along the chammel in units of
> > 10 KV per centimeter, rho is the density of gas used, and rho_zero
> > is the density of air at STP. Rho will change with bang rate.
>
> Let me guess that the resistive phase is a short period of constant
> resistance during which the arc gets established. It looks to be on
> the order of nanoseconds and is presumably relevant to fast pulse
> discharges in accelerator and fusion supplies. I take it we can ignore
> this resistive phase, since tesla gaps conduct for many tens of
> microseconds?

It is probably more appropriate to consider it when looking at the
physics on sub-uS timescales. Since it doesn't really show up in the
longer term smoothed waveforms and doesn't seem terribly relevant to
the view one obtains at Fr where the circuit is highly selective I
personally haven't bothered with it too much. Others may think
otherwise.

> I guess it ought to be relatively straightforward, given a
> digital scope, to capture and store the V/I curves for a
> range of gap lengths and widths. I take it they would come out
> looking a bit like two diodes back to back in parallel? Are
> the V/I curves a function of frequency too, or would one set of
> curves do for all?

Very much, although my expts with both zeners and anti-parallel
diodes show linear envelopes only with specific starting voltages for
a given LC circuit. In fact diode junction voltages follow a
different law from a gap and I have seen both log and antilog
envelopes generated by this means.

> If such curves exist, are they 'square' enough so that a gap
> can be reliably characterised by a 'forward voltage drop' which
> is just a function of the gap dimensions and independent of
> current?

I wonder. Perhaps an active voltage source or sink used in place of
the simpler devices might show this for sure. Could easily be tried.

> It seems to me that such a set of curves would provide the
> essential raw material from which an effective loss resistance
> (ie an integrated loss per cycle divided by the mean square
> current) could be established for a given gap.
>
> > My expts also suggest (and appear to be well supported by the
> > experiences of others) that as one moves to the high L/C - high V
> > regime, quenching type #2 (avoiding power ARCS) becomes more and
> > more of a bugbear. John Freau is one excellent experimenter whose
> > experiments with high L/C primaries have seen his efficiencies climb
> > markedly.
>
> Thanks, was wondering about that. Is there a primary L/C
> record holder I wonder? I've been thinking about rigging up
> a high energy single shot primary, using a voltage multiplier
> to accumulate about 60kV across the tank.

Don't know. I seem to recall that voltages approaching 100kV have
been tried but couldn't swear to it. Not by anyone I know anyway.

Regards,
malcolm