TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:47:49 +0000
Subject: [TSSP] Primary gap questions

Carried forward from another thread, Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

If I've understood things so far, Malcolm has suggested that
the V across the gap when conducting (Vcond) is to a first
approximation constant, implying Rgap is a function R(I).
Evidence for this is the approximately linear or steeper
decay envelope occuring when gap loss is significant compared
with the other (linear) primary circuit losses.

Malcolm Watts wrote:

[concerning 'resistive phase']
> It is probably more appropriate to consider it when looking at the
> physics on sub-uS timescales. Since it doesn't really show up in the
> longer term smoothed waveforms and doesn't seem terribly relevant to
> the view one obtains at Fr where the circuit is highly selective I
> personally haven't bothered with it too much. Others may think
> otherwise.

It would be nice if we could just take the gap resistance as
a function R(I) and not have to include the time since the
gap closed!

Sorry, further demonstrating my ignorance about spark gaps, more
questions...

Do we have any idea whether the gap resistance is a function of
frequency as well as current?

We've seen evidence of DC levels appearing in the LC circuits
when an arc gap or corona loading is present. It take it this
is due to Vcond having a different level for opposite polarities
of current?  I guess a symmetric gap would not show this, and a very
asymmetric gap, eg point to sphere, would demonstrate it the most.

Looking at some of Terry's scope traces in

 http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/sparkgap.html

we seem to be seeing the gap extinguish and re-ignite on
every zero crossing of the primary current - is that correct?

And finally! What sort of typical magnitudes do we get for Vcond?