TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:30:07 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Primary gap questions

Terry wrote:

> Wha...  You think I make this stuff up :-)))
>
> The zero crossing spikes are very real.  As the current flow
> reverses, the gap goes out and has to be re-lite with a bit of
> a bang.

For some reason I always assumed that AC arcs kept their ionisation
between half-cycles. The fact that they are mini-bangs means that
the breakover voltage is lower than for the gap starting from 'cold',
so something survives over the zero-crossing. I guess at higher
frequencies most of the ionization would remain from cycle to cycle
and there would be less of a hiatus as the current reversed.

All in all, does this 'restarting' contribute much to gap loss?
I suppose that energy must be taken continuously to maintain
ionisation as heat and light are lost from the gap. Can losses
be reduced by surrounding the gap with a reflective cylinder?

If the gap is operated at a higher air pressure, I believe the
breakdown voltage goes up. Does the Vcond also go up with
increasing pressure?