TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:59:52 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] E-Tesla6.11

Hi Malcolm,

At 09:15 AM 11/23/2000 +1300, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>          I once heard a description of the top end of the coil as
>being a piece of wire flapping in the breeze. I have no doubt at all
>that the inductance of those turns is effectively not there in an
>unterminated coil because of the current profile. The wire is still a
>conductor however. This leads to a number of very interesting points
>I would like to put out there for comment.
>
>#1 - It is known that placing a cut in a terminal plonked hard on top
>of the windings affects resonant frequency to only a small degree
>given what k must be like between the terminal and those top turns. I
>have wondered what the coupling profile must be like (this has direct
>relevance to primary coupling as well). Suppose a terminal negates
>some of the inductance one would think it adds to the top of the coil
>by altering the current profile. Then putting a cut in it such that
>it is no longer a shorted turn must alter that effect but it cannot
>change the capacitance to any significant degree. Any comments on
>that one?

I think my other post today address this.  I think the top of the coil is
rather dead aside from capacitive effects.

>#2 - is your calculated Cself the Medhurst value or the DC value?

I simply calculate the capacitance of a cylinder shaped object in the given
room.  I guess that would be Cself but perhaps the definitions are a bit in
disarray at the moment.

>Given R. Jones scenario of a distributed L/C being used to calculate
>Cself using Tx Line equations gives the measured DC value I found it
>fascinating that the lossless case means that the DC value tracks the
>Medhurst value exactly proportionately. I also found it fascinating
>that using the DC value in this way gives a more realistic (higher)
>value for Ctop. I wonder which of the two energy conservation tracks
>more accurately? It will be interesting to find out.

Yes it will be :-)).  Perhaps my other post will shed a little light on all
this but right now there are no definite answers.