TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:10:23 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Proximity effect and Terman

Paul,

Thanks for the kind words! Skin effect is a result of the changing
magnetic fields that are created when an AC current flows through an
isolated conductor. The resulting EM field changes the current
distribution in the wire in a direction that always tends to minimize
the total inductance of the current path. In the case of an isolated
conductor, this means that current is forced to flow preferentially
through an outer layer, called the skin depth, of the conductor. Skin
depth is only a function of frequency and material properties of the
conducting medium.

Proximity effect is similar to skin effect in that it's also a magnetic
effect. However, with proximity effect, the redistribution of current
flow in a given conductor is further constrained by external magnetic
fields coming from OTHER conductors that are in close proximity. Skin
effect and proximity effect may be of approximately the same order of
magnitude in single layer solenoids. Paradoxically, increasing conductor
diameter may actually worsen the ratio of Rac/Rdc through proximity
effect. And, losses in multilayer coils will tend to be predominated by
proximity effect, obviously making proximity effect a major concern for
high frequency transformer designers. Proximity effect increases with
frequency, and of particular concern for pulse or PWM applications.

Terman's analysis is similar to those of Medhurst and Grover - a series
of tables are used to provide the appropriate "fudge factors" for the
particular coil geometry, wire diameter, and spacing. For single and
multi-layer coils, this is covered in Terman, "Radio Engineers Handbook,
1943, pp73 - 83. Much of the information used by Terman was actually
based upon earlier work by S. Butterworth reported in 1925 and 1926
(Wireless Eng. and Exp. Wireless, and Proceedings of Royal Society). If
there's enough interest, I could scan the portion of Terman's book and
make these pages available to the List. I don't have Butterworth's
original material.

There are also some well written modern discussions of proximity effect.
One of the best ones is on a site for a CAD tool (called PROXY):

http://kosys.home.mindspring.com/articleproxy/articleproxy.html

The above web site references the work of some modern day workers, P. L.
Dowell and Bruce Carsten. Dowell developed some closed form equations,
subject to constraints which conveniently appear to apply to single
layer resonators(!). It would be valuable to obtain copies of these
papers:
1. P. L. Dowell, "Effects of Eddy Currents in Transformer Windings,"
Proc. IEE, Vol 113 No. 8, August, 1966
2. Bruce Carsten, "High Frequency Conductor Losses in Switchmode
Magnetics", High Frequency Power Conversion Conference Proceedings, CA,
May 1986

Hope this helped!

-- Bert --
--