TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:23:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Final solution...great chance for it

> > Let me formulate the problem once more:
> > We have symetrical and symetricaly placed winding
> > structure aproximately 100-1000 turns ,excited by
> wave
> > source at its begginig (or end),and want to know
> > transient processes from the first moment on,for
> every
> > point of the winding given with respect to
> > time,voltage gradients,reso. freqs etc.?
>
> That about sums up the problem, although I'm content
> with
> a steady state analysis - I feel the full time
> dependent
> solution requires far too much computational effort.
-----
When I first talked to dr.Bodlovic,I asked how did he
approached to the winding network.
He stopped me in the middle of my sentence when I
mentioned network-circuit theory saying that it was
brutte-force ,ie a primitive method,and that with
"only" 50 parts of such modelling I would have big
problems with the time of computing (definitely,that
is true).
Furtherly ,I replied ,what I knew, that well  circuit
theory is the simplier case of complicated Maxwell
theory and could be just of help and expressed an
opinion that direct application of the field theory
will  result in even larger computional times.
He also stopped me,saying that is true in general
case,but not in some symetrical space geometry
cases where dissipation factors could be treated like
they are small.
He said that at first sight his solution had some
similaraty with a theory of a waveguide,but only at
first  sight and includes some special math. functions
developed in 70s,that he used for representation of
wave dispersion along the winding.
Having just one little limit ,and that would be if one
takes constant or linear function of dissplacement
currents conductivity along the winding (speaking in
terms of circuit theory :the Cexternal distribution)
,one of his associates wrote a computer programm which
took just a few minutes to finish all  calcs at PC 486
processor.
The Results of simulation were compared with test msms
on real models,and were successful.
Bodlovic said his work relied much more on math
analitics than on using computer aproximations.
Naturally,it is clear than,why it requires relatively
short
computing time.
------

> > Many people,including me, thought this could be
> done
> > by modeling it in terms of circuit theory  ,ie.by
> > breaking the winding into many  parts mutualy
> > ,inductively and capacitively coupled and trying
> > find solutions of such network from the set of
> > integro-differential equations,using gaussian
> > elemination and operational calcs.
>
> > Paul ,is this way how you and Terry are looking
> for
> > the solution of the
> > the winding?
>
> That describes the tssp simulator very accurately
> and concisely.
----
And  is good, perhaps, for the diggesstion of
CRAY-like systems   ,not for normal machines.
-----

> > Maybe,this post of mine comes premature,and I'm
> too
> > excited to think clear now,but many things tell me
> > this mister has "a real stuff" for us.
> > I arranged to meet him tommorow.
> > Can't promise anything but hope the best.
>
> Marvelous. Maybe you can scan some papers?
----
I will try my best
---

 The two
> approaches,
> ie direct solution of Maxwell and our finite network
> approximation
> should be equivalent and reveal the same features,
> ie current
> profiles, etc. Ask if Dr Bodlovic has noticed the
> elevated current
> maximum in the grounded base configuration.
-----
I mentioned him that his work could be usefull for
Tesla transformer .
It appeared he didn' t heard for such.(!)
-----

> The only attempts at the Maxwell solution I have
> seen have been
> for helical structures typical of the kind used for
> antenna
> radiators. Does Dr Bodlovic exploit the
> simplifications to
> Maxwell's equations which are valid when the free
> space wavelength
> is much greater than the coil dimensions?
----
Don't know,I guess he did.
He mentioned that Japaneses used his work as the base
for the investigation of proceses when lightning surge
penetrates comercial transformer winding.
I'm going to visit him in 2 hours.I hope he will bring
concrete material to show it to me and allow copying
it.

Regards,
Boris

http://shopping.yahoo.com/