TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:10:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Final solution...great chance for it

> > When I first talked to dr.Bodlovic,I asked how did
> he
> > approached to the winding network.
> > He stopped me in the middle of my sentence when I
> > mentioned network-circuit theory saying that it
> was
> > brutte-force ,ie a primitive method,and that with
> > "only" 50 parts of such modelling I would have big
> > problems with the time of computing
> (definitely,that
> > is true).
>
> A mere 50 parts, that would be quite quick - at
> least once
> the Cext and Cint matrices are calculated - that
> takes
> a few hours on the cluster. Once Cint and Cext are
> obtained, with only 50 steps the solution for each
> omega is just a few seconds.
----
You're talking about computing times for CW state or
complited transients solved for every case in time
domain?
----

> So he is not taking into account the environment
> around
> the solenoid? Hmm.
---
Not yet.
----

> > And  is good, perhaps, for the diggesstion of
> > CRAY-like systems   ,not for normal machines.
> > -----
>
> Not necessarily. We use many elements to make *sure*
> that
> resolution is not an issue, so we can concentrate on
> getting
> the physics right.
-----
You know,once I thought that the only way except
Maxwel field theory,for simulating the coils was the
method we are employing today (LC connected network
simulations).
After seeing Bodlovic's work,and heard aboout "dream"
softwares he told me about I changed my mind.

-----

 attempts at the Maxwell solution I have
> > > seen have been
> > > for helical structures typical of the kind used
> for
> > > antenna
> > > radiators. Does Dr Bodlovic exploit the
> > > simplifications to
> > > Maxwell's equations which are valid when the
> free
> > > space wavelength
> > > is much greater than the coil dimensions?
> > ----
> > Don't know,I guess he did.
> > He mentioned that Japaneses used his work as the
> base
> > for the investigation of proceses when lightning
> surge
> > penetrates comercial transformer winding.
>
> Must be a flexible program to handle mains
> transformers as
> well as single layer air cored solenoids.
----
Sure it must.
You mentioned you had seen Maxwel approach to the
problem of helical antena radiators.
I tell you that everything is as much on the stake as
how "much" do you "open" the space between adjanced
turns.
Bodlovic had worked on the concerned models as
well,and said that during last few years there were
developed such an unbeliveable good softwares that
could resolve 3D electromagnetic field transients in
time-space  even for something like Tesla extra coil
from CS.
These softwares are proffesional ones,not easy ones to
find at the market,but researcher don't need to have
CRAY to successfuly apply them (he have to "have"
another things)
Common things for the softwares is usually clever
usage of the finite elements method.
There are problems of phyisicalformulation,variational
calcs.,  choice of aproximative methods , dynamic
corrections and thousands others.
---

> > I have that paper (and even that,the  complicated
> > one ,written in terms of Maxwel which is mind
> > exhausting to follow).
>
> I'd like to see those, but translation might be a
> problem,
----
He gave me also one written in English that
illustrates
basical lines of his approach.
He wasn't too happy when publisher insisted on
transforming his field model into "flash and bones" of
distributed circuit where electrical and magnetical
parts are treated separately.
Such representation is incomplete,and some results
derived from EM field approach are lost.
However ,even the simplification was novelity,and msms
and model were in a good agreement.
------

> and I'm not sure I'd follow them either!
---
I think you should be able to.At least the one I want
to send you.
Give me your snail mail address.

Regards,
Boris