TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:10:57 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Final solution...great chance for it

boris petkovic wrote:

> > A mere 50 parts, that would be quite quick - at
> > least once
> > the Cext and Cint matrices are calculated - that
> > takes
> > a few hours on the cluster. Once Cint and Cext are
> > obtained, with only 50 steps the solution for each
> > omega is just a few seconds.
> ----
> You're talking about computing times for CW state or
> complited transients solved for every case in time
> domain?
> ----

Yes, that's the time taken to solve the network for
AC steady state conditions at a single frequency.

> -----
> You know,once I thought that the only way except
> Maxwel field theory,for simulating the coils was the
> method we are employing today (LC connected network
> simulations).
> After seeing Bodlovic's work,and heard aboout "dream"
> softwares he told me about I changed my mind.
> -----

The two approaches are equivalent when the free space
wavelength of the frequencies involved are large compared
with the dimensions of the secondary.

Eg, with Maxwells equ,

 integral( H.ds) = integral( J.dA) + d/dt integral(D.dA)

the approximation allows us to drop the term

 d/dt integral(D.dA)

since we can safely ignore the magnetic induction caused
by displacement currents. The resulting

 integral( H.ds) = integral( J.dA)

when combined with another Maxwell equ,

 integral( E.ds) = - d/dt integral( B.dA)

gives the familiar V = L dI/dt. This is the 'quasi-static'
approach and it seems very efficient to me to deal with a
single coefficient of inductance, rather than the line and
surface integrals of the fields themselves.

Ultimately, both our and Bodlovic's methods will boil
down to a finite element network solution involving a
matrix of coefficients which relate the V and I of the
elements. The difference I think will lie with how the
coefficients are obtained. We use brute force laplace or
boundary element method to obtain the coefficents C and
table lookup for L. Sounds like Bodlovic has something
smarter and more elegant to obtain these.

I'll refrain from further speculation until I've seen
his paper.

> ----
> He gave me also one written in English that
> illustrates
> basical lines of his approach.
> He wasn't too happy when publisher insisted on
> transforming his field model into "flash and bones" of
> distributed circuit where electrical and magnetical
> parts are treated separately.

Sounds like that amounts to dropping terms like the
d/dt integral(D.dA) mentioned above - ie removing
the direct E to B field coupling so that the two fields
are independent and only coupled through the action of
charge movement on the winding - see intro to pn2511.

> Such representation is incomplete,and some results
> derived from EM field approach are lost.

Yes, eg far field radiation of EM energy - a few tens
of mW for a 1kW coil. We can afford to ignore that. We
also ignore the slight spiral 'twist' to the B field
occuring due to the longitudinal component of current
flow. If Bodlovic handles these, his program will be
welcome to those constructing electromagnetic containers
for plasma experiments!

> However ,even the simplification was novelity,and msms
> and model were in a good agreement.

although his experimental comparisons must have been for
particularly simple configurations in view of his limited
accounting of external environment.

> Give me your snail mail address.

 Paul Nicholson,
 Middle Horsewood Cottage,