TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:06:10 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] E-Tesla6.11

Hi Paul,

At 06:56 PM 12/20/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>I wrote (24th nov):
>
>> Terry, you recall I expressed some doubts about the method applied
>> in E-Tesla6 - I felt that it might not be representing the energy
>> stored in the internal capacitance. Computers here have been
>> churning through telescope data, so I've had time to sit back and
>> work through the math and I'm quite certain now that your method is
>> correct, providing that is, you calculate Fres by resonating your C
>> with the right inductance.
>> The required inductance is the equivalent series inductance (Les),
>> formed by integrating the EMF induced along the coil,
>
>Terry wrote:
>
>> Oh good!  The capacitance should have been right.
>> You had me worried ;-))
>
>This might make more sense now in the context of pn2511. The relevant
>equ is 8.4, although you'll disagree with paragraph which follows,
>since you've found a way to estimate Ces without knowing omega in
>advance!

Karl Gauss figured that out in the second to the last century, not me.  I
just followed his directions... :-)))  Gausss' law is one of those things
that always works despite the fine details.  Scarry to think of him coming
up with such a leap in electrostatic thought without ever having had a
Tesla coil :-))

>Your Lfac is Les/Ldc and I'm looking forward to generating a database
>of Lfac values when we run the simulator across the range of secondary
>designs.

Wow! that would be nice!!!  E-tesla6 wants them numbers!!

>Remember that the contribution of internal capacitance is represented
>in a 'hidden' form in the value of Lfac, so it is accounted for
>indirectly.

E-Tesla6 has a lot of hidden things imbedded in it's more basic
functionality of finding Fo for the practical coiler.  "They" don't care
about all the details, but I find your analysis of such fine detail stunning!!!

>In a slight revision to pn2511, I replaced the sample equivalent
>reactances at the end of section 8 with the values for your bare
>coil, since your larger h/d demonstrates better the difference in value
>between  the 'ee' and 'es' reactances. Take them as approximate, say 5%,
>since  the physical capacitance matrix came from the new program and is
>not  quite right yet, as you can see by the Fres. E-Tesla should deliver
>the Ces value or near. The new pn2511 is v0.1b.

It is an honor to be involved with all this!  Your work and your new paper
will define coiling for decades if not centuries!!  I am still dog paddling
through your big paper but your work is obviously defining the art by many
orders of magnitude over what has been!!