TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:23:38 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Capacitance between primary and secondary

Hi Marc,

	I was wondering if anyone would notice that ;-))  I played around with
positioning and wire lengths and it turned out that having the meter on the
primary with really short wires gave the best readings.  It is devilishly
hard to measure down to the pFs with something like this, but this is the
best I could come up with.  I tried spacing the meter with wood and such
but it didn't change anything.  I think the meter is pretty hollow on the
bottom with the terminals leading down there.

I suspect the measurements could be like 10% off from the true values but I
don't have a ways to measure these tiny capacitances more accurately where
"everything" affects the readings.

At 02:16 AM 12/26/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>paul, terry, all
>in the discrepancies between terry's c and Paul's calculated c values i
noticed
>in terry's pictures that his meter was setting on the primary itself. could
>this be causing an added c to the 0 height value, and then also at the 15"
>height difference, the meter may be pulling c and therefor causing a less then
>calculated value? maybe a test using two meters, one connected with longer
>leads and placed away and then trying a measurement with the first meter
in the
>field and then out of the field could show something?
>marc
>
>Paul wrote:
>
>> Terry Fritz  wrote (on tesla list):
>>
>> > I retook the physical measurements of my coil and measured the
>> > capacitance from primary to secondary.

snip...