TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:46:23 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] early idle testing

Boris wrote:

> Have you ever measured phase shifts between  sine wave
> voltages of the signal generator and  the wave of the
> top of a high Q coil driven in Fo  CW mode?
> What tssp CW simultor can say about these shifts?

Exactly at Fo, the base drive voltage is in phase with the base
current, which in turn is 90 deg from the top voltage, so
the top voltage is 90 deg out of phase with the base voltage.

This phase difference continues for a short distance into
the coil before the uniform-phase voltage distribution of
the free resonance takes over.

A rapid phase change takes place within that short distance,
the distance being roughly a fraction 1/sqrt(Q) of the coil
length.

Use of high Q secondaries means that I can ignore this
artifact of the base drive and assume, for the purposes of
calculating equivalent reactances, that the uniform phase
of the free resonance still applies to a good approximation.

Regards,