TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:55:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Coils at high elevation

> change
> harmonic

> papers
> > >

> Me:
> > > I'd like to see those.
>
> Boris:
> > In these papers ,among other things  was shown
> that
> > influence of Cintrisic could be so dramatic that
> > something like very high, say  13th or 15th,
> resonant
> > frequency for usual no hat helical resonators
> actually
> > didn't exist.
> > In other words,capacitive network of winding acts
> on
> > incoming waves so dramaticaly that degenerates
> > formation of standing waves' notches and nodes.
> > After critical high frequency passed,voltage
> profile
> > over winding could be just a sort of hyperbolic
> > function and nothing more ,appearing and
> dissapering
> > in phase with  driving source voltage function.
>
> Interesting. I've seen the higher resonances peter
> out to nothing and assumed it was just an effect of
> declining Q at higher frequencies.
----
No,no ..you are wrong about this.
---

 I've not trusted
> the simulator beyond about the 10th overtone due to
> it's limited spatial resolution of the physical Cext
> and Cint. Last night I explored up to 65th overtone
> using tsim, and the equal spacing between overtones
> apparent  between say 4th and 15th overtones alters
> above about the 15th, the intervals gradually
> becoming
> larger and larger. This is on a very high Q coil. I
> assume
> this is an artifact of the simulator, but it sounds
> like
> I need to add exploration of this by measurement to
> the
> list of things to do!
>
> Boris, thanks for raising the point. What you are
> saying
> about Cint is making some sense to me. Perhaps we
> can think
> of Cint as bypassing and short-circuiting the
> inductance at
> higher frequencies. Clearly there is knowledge
> waiting to
> be gleaned from exploration of the higher overtones.
>
> I'll bet there is a formula to be found for a
> cut-off
> frequency. Wish I new how to work out a phase
> constant,
> either an average value for the coil, or as a
> function
> of position.

To Malcolm (if you read this),
Will you be so kind and  send to Paul my handwritten
papers relating this stuff (aproximately 10 pages)?
It would be a real headache for me to write that
summary again.

Thanks,
Boris

http://shopping.yahoo.com/