TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:13:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Latter Results

Terry,

I'm now beginning to process (again) the NSVPI results, both
the new toroided data, and the existing bare coil data.

I noticed something that you may find satisfying, concerning the
'jitter' in your measured gradient readings.

When I printed out the 'predicted' curve on the original graphs,
the gradient is calculated on a turn-by-turn basis, which gives
a nice smooth curve. Against this smooth curve, your measurements
were up and down, see

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn2510/nsvpi2210b.gif

for example.

I decided to try comparing the data differently. Instead of
printing out the predicted curve turn-by-turn, I calculated the
voltage differences at 1" intervals, since that is what you were
measuring.

Unfortunately, 30 into 1000 doesn't go - in order to apply the
probe you have to select the nearest turn. The result is a jitter
of +/- 1 turn at each end, a possible variation of +/- 2 turns in
an average 33.33 turns per inch.

If I calculate the gradient in 1" steps, the calculation has to
pick the nearest turn in the same way as your probe did, and guess
what - the same jitter appears, and at the same amplitude.

I've compared your original bare coil measurements with my 1" gradient
predictions in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn2510/nsvpi-jitter.gif

The conclusion is clear - your NSVPI measurements are probably much
more accurate than previously supposed and the apparent jitter is
caused by the necessity to 'quantise' to the nearest turn.