TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:35:27 +0000
Subject: [TSSP] Progress report

I've been quite busy with the modeling software over the hols, quite a
bit has got done, so here's a summary.

The new capacitance determination program is almost working properly.
There are a couple of mathematical bits that I'm stuck on, eg the
calculation of self-potentials for the curved surfaces of toroids,
but rather than get held up on that, I've put in some temporary
calibration factors to hide a residual 1% error in external cap and
rather more in internal.

Some inaccuracy in determining the end capacitance of secondaries has
been cured by increasing Cext resolution from 32 to 500 steps. I'll
do a similar thing with Cint in the near future, which should remove
the need for a cal factor.

The modeling code has been set to run at a reduced resolution so we
are trading precision for throughput. Accuracy is now only about 2% at
f1, 3% at f3, and 4% at f5, but it does mean that a resonator can be
fully modeled in about 1hr on a P500 - that includes working out the
cap matrix. Both cap matrix and transmission line simulator element
sizes are now around 1/500th of the coil length.

As a result, my cluster machine can now process around 280 systems per
day, which means that we can soon start to generate a database of coil
performance, albeit at modest precision.  About 30 days or so will
give us statistics on around 10,000 'virtual' coils, chosen to span
the space of typical Tesla configurations.

I've also added in modeling of primary windings and their coupling, so
there is now an option in the model software program to feed via primary
rather than base - I'll add in a center feed for the bipolar configur-
ation in the near future.

Q factor estimation is still poor, I think, although we're a little
short on reference measurements. If loss factors are adjusted to
align model Q with measured Q, then the input impedance, Q and voltage
gains are commensurate with one another, which means that the software
is correctly implementing the lossy equations - its now just a case of
getting a reliable proximity loss estimate.

I'll just review the model comparison results for the various systems
that I think of as a 'reference' database. Quality results on these
are essential, for two reasons. a) They will be required to 'stitch'
a virtual coil database to real coil results, which should take place
at a fair number of check points in the configuration space.
And b) In order to persue checks on some of the predictions in pn2511,
we must have accurate values for the equivalent reactances.
A prerequisite for this is an accurate match on the first three odd
quarterwave resonant frequencies, f1, f3, and f5.

Lets see how well we're doing...

First, my coils:

|pn1: h/d 1.36 bare
|    f1  150.7kHz  150.2kHz -0.3%
|    f3  360.0kHz  362.0kHz +0.6%
|    f5  543.0kHz  548.7kHz +1.0%
|
|pn2: h/d 2.76 bare
|    f1   90.9kHz   91.4kHz +0.6%
|    f3  213.0kHz  216.8kHz +1.8%
|
|pn2-t: h/d 2.76 loaded
|    f1   66.7kHz   65.9kHz -1.2%
|    f3  193.3kHz  194.2kHz +0.5%
|    f5  307.0kHz  295.1kHz -3.9%

>From Terry Fritz:

Some ambiguity with the inductance of this high loss coil.

|tfltr: h/d 2.92 bare
|    f1  148.4kHz  146.5kHz -1.3%
|    f3  353.4kHz  349.6kHz -1.1%
|    f5  513.8kHz  502.0kHz -2.3%
|
|tfltr45: h/d 2.92 loaded
|    f1   97.9kHz   95.3kHz -2.6%
|    f3  321.4kHz  315.7kHz -1.8%
|    f5  490.2kHz  478.9kHz -2.3%

>From Malcolm Watts:

Results inherited from Q factor tests.

|mwa1-1hd0: h/d 1.00 bare, high elevation
|    f1  600.0kHz  667.1kHz +11.2%
|
|mwa1-4hd0: h/d 4.00 bare
|    f1  224.0kHz  225.5kHz +0.7%
|
|mwa2-4hd0: h/d 4.00 bare
|    f1  220.0kHz  225.4kHz +2.5%

>From Mark Rzeszotarski:

Two problematic sets of data for high elevation coils,

|mz1: h/d 6.00 bare
|    f1  885.0kHz 1048.9kHz +18.5%
|    f3 2338.0kHz 2525.0kHz +8.0%
|    f5 3436.0kHz 3547.5kHz +3.2%
|
|mz2: h/d 6.00 bare
|    f1  645.0kHz  705.0kHz +9.3%
|    f3 1627.0kHz 1696.9kHz +4.3%

and two examples from a set of 5 readings just received,

mz3012-1: h/d 3.18 bare
|    f1  647.8kHz  696.2kHz +7.5%
|    f3 1575.4kHz 1656.0kHz +5.1%
|    f5 2264.1kHz 2369.4kHz +4.7%
|
|mz3012-5: h/d 3.18 bare
|    f1  665.9kHz  725.5kHz +8.9%
|    f3 1591.1kHz 1697.0kHz +6.7%
|    f5 2277.9kHz 2398.9kHz +5.3%

these coils demonstrate our continuing inability to master the strange
spacetime distortion present in Mark's basement. More on these in
another post to follow.

>From Marc Metlicka:

Two interesting coils with large h/d

|mm1: h/d 8.72 bare
|    f1  455.5kHz  436.1kHz -4.3%
|
|mm2: h/d 10.11 bare, turns guessed as 1700
|    f1  276.9kHz  279.0kHz +0.8%
|    f3  711.8kHz  705.9kHz -0.8%

a third with large inductance

|mm3: h/d 4.63 bare
|    f1   61.9kHz   63.1kHz +1.9%
|    f3  157.9kHz  154.6kHz -2.1%
|    f5  229.7kHz  218.1kHz -5.1%
|    f7  294.4kHz  273.0kHz -7.3%
|    f9  355.6kHz  323.1kHz -9.1%

and a fourth with a medium h/d

|mm4: h/d 6.72 bare
|    f1  237.0kHz  255.1kHz +7.6%

these promise to be a useful set of coils. Inductances need to be
checked.

Others:

|thor: h/d 3.75 loaded
|    f1   65.5kHz   64.2kHz -1.9%
|    f3  222.8kHz  220.7kHz -0.9%
|    f5  346.3kHz  337.8kHz -2.5%

which has a large discrepancy in secondary inductance.

We could do to extend this database a little by collecting
measurements on more reference systems, and to refine some of
the existing results.

More to follow later,

Regards,