TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:10:45 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] NSVPI - Terminated Coil Results

Hi Paul,

At 09:37 PM 11/13/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Terrell W. Fritz wrote:
>
>> Tonight I finally did the terminated coil case voltage profile.
>
>Thanks Terry. The setup is a little too different to the tfltr45
>system for me to do a quick comparison. I'd like to postpone the
>sims on this until the new capacitance program is running, next week
>I hope.

No problem, I realized the setup was probably not easy for your program at
the moment but I wanted to get a good profile for E-Tesla6.  Thus, I set it
up like a normal coil system.

>> This coil system had a measured Q of 163.6 so I just added
>> 0.394 volts to the measurements to make up for the diode drop.
>
>I guess you're equating voltage gain to Q factor with the
>0.394 volts. You had 0.12 V diode drop on the bare coil results.
>Any chance of a direct top volts measurement to normalise the
>profile? I expect it will be less than 163.6 V.

Obviously, my picking the 0.394 volts was a leap of faith ;-))  It was late
and I figured I was good enough for my purpose at that moment...  I will
try to pin this down better.  Probing the top terminal with a probe to get
a true top voltage is a great idea but a little too unproven to try on this
test where I needed the data for ET6.

>Were you driving the coil through the primary, or into the base?

The primary coil was grounded and the base of the secondary was driven form
a lowZ 2v p-p sine source.

>Is anyone else working on ways to pickup the V profiles, or are we
>leaving all the hard work to Terry? I think a charge storing
>probe similar to Terry's, but with a capacitive coupling would
>be worth a try, if a way could be found to give the diode a DC path.

Yeah!  Terry is getting too old to crawl around on the concrete floor (even
with pillows) for four hours!  :-))  Boy!, am I sore today! :-))  This is a
young fella's sport!

I tried some capacitive probes ideas but I could not get the diode to turn
on.  It was like the current was too small or something was not sufficient
to turn the junction on.  I didn't think about it much since I just went to
the direct connection method.

I hope to write the testing and such up in a little paper soon that tells
more of all the details and pins it all down for future reference.  The
method really does work remarkably well!