TSSP: List Archives

From: "B2"
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 22:56:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Primary gap questions

Hi Paul,
    I will try to answer your questions below:

> I suppose that energy must be taken continuously to maintain
> ionisation as heat and light are lost from the gap. Can losses
> be reduced by surrounding the gap with a reflective cylinder?
>=20
    This would seem to make sense if insulation concerns were addressed. =
 This would keep the gap from going out, though,  when you want it to =
quench.

> If the gap is operated at a higher air pressure, I believe the
> breakdown voltage goes up. Does the Vcond also go up with
> increasing pressure?
>=20
    I don't know the answer to that question.

> Perhaps a single gap could be placed across the DC terminals of
> a bridge rectifier to achieve the same effect?
>=20
    The diode expense would be doubled.  All of the energy is being =
deposited into only one gap.  There is an advantage in dividing the =
energy among two gaps: it should become easier for conduction to cease =
at an opportune moment.=20

    Triggered spark gaps would be better.  The energy could be spread =
out over N gaps then.  The triggering circuitry becomes expensive =
though.  There is a new type of spark described in the Journal of =
Physics 2000 (forgot the month)( http://www.iop.org/ ) -free downloads =
until december 22 by the way- that creates a diffuse discharge with =
minimal electrode erosion.  I will begin to study that as I learn more.  =

> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> Manchester, UK.
> --