TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:36:07 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] L measurements

Metlicka Marc wrote:

> paul,
> these were all taken with the coils in free space, actually setting
> on my milk crate but nothing but carpet and floorboards beneath.
> also i moved everything so that the area surrounding the coils was
> removed, a good 7' of free space all around. i will say that the walls
> are of the chicken wire rock lath type. all measurements were made after
> i checked the inductance's of the leads shorted together and the
> resistance's of the leads subtracted. my manual actually states to use
> twisted pair leads for high accuracy in L readings, so i did. all L
> readings were using the 1 khz internal generator.

That sounds like a first class measurement. The #3 L calculated on the
basis of 3001 turns (turns counter) comes out at 386.5 mH, and the
resistance is 454 ohms, so I wonder if somehow you have fewer turns to
obtain 355.5 mH and 425.8 ohms.

Seems to me that counting turns along a secondary would be a
straightforward job for software. Take a line of pixels along
the coil and convert to the spatial frequency domain, and then look
for the whopping spike in the spectrum. Somebody ought to write a
little utility program.

BTW, I take it the 'Q' readings accompanying your data apply
to 1kHz, I hope so!