TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:07:03 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top voltage testing

I asked:

Terry wrote:

> I drove directly from the low Z (<1 ohm) signal generator.
> Putting a 1 ohm surface mount resistor in the signal path with
> the HP meter would be easy if needed.

Looks like we might need that base current reading as we have a
discrepancy (dont we always :)) to sort out.

There's a problem with the voltage gains. The voltage gain should
(according to pn2511 theory and the model) be a little higher than
the Q factor, eg for test #1, Q=93 and the predicted vgain is 96.1,
your measurement with the P6015 probe gives only 76.2, a 26%
difference. Similar for test #2 also.

Test #3 does better, with a Q of 73 the predicted vgain is 74.5 and
measured is 76.2, a 2.3% difference, which is reasonable.

Also, going back to your NSVPI terminated coil results, your total
voltage gradient after adding 0.12v for the diode drops, comes to
around 155.4 volts - a vgain of 155.4 for a predicted 168.5 volts.
Again the vgain should have been slightly higher than the
measured Q of 163.8, thats a discrepancy hard to account for at
either my end or yours.

So far the only vgain comparisons that match are your NSVPI bare
coil results, and the test #3 data from the regular scope probe.

Can you check that the P6015 and YT5060 probes agree on the voltage
when they simultaneously measure the same voltage. Could your
P6015 be open circuit somewhere, so that we only got a capacitive
pickup perhaps?

I might have a problem with the predictions, but if so its a serious
one, as the vgain > Q trend is a fairly basic result which is
expected for all coils with medium or large h/d.

The comparisons for tests #1 and #3 are in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn0801.html

Maybe you can check the probes and also obtain a base current
readings - they should be consistent with the input resistances
given in pn0801.